A Divorce Is Announced

According to www.dictionary.com, the word “divorce” can mean a few things. Of course the dissolution of a marriage between husband and wife is the first to come to mind. But in my case, Definition #6 works best: to separate; cut off. Yep, that’s exactly what’s going on with me and the “Big Guy.” When you’ve been wronged, as I have been, sometimes there is just no going back.

Last year I purchased a copy of Microsoft Small Business Office 2007. I used one of the many OEM companies so that I could save some money on my purchase. I got my License Key and Product Number. The installation went great. And although the interface was different from Office 2003, I got used to it, and even began to like it. Everything was going smoothly … until my computer needed to be have the hard drive wiped clean and have everything reinstalled. I thought that I had all the bases covered. I checked my Microsoft Office information that I had and copied down the serial numbers that I had been given at the time of purchase. And then I went about wiping my hard drive.

But, as with most hasty plans, I didn’t notice onesignificant flaw. You see, I had forgotten that Microsoft gives you two sets of serial number – the Product and the License. I had only copied the Product Number, not the license number. Okay, I admit it I was really mad at myself, but I took solace in the thought that I could just call Microsoft up and get this resolved in a quick and painless manner. Hah!

First of all, I don’t understand why you need to go through a registration process with the “Brain Trust” since they tell you that they have no way of knowing your license number. So, when you register you copy of Microsoft 2007 it must all be for nothing because no one can help you to retrieve the information. However, if had downloaded from one of their preferred digital retailers, such as Digital River, I would have been able to get my license code from them. The young lady that I spoke to on the telephone suggested that I call back the company that I had originally purchased it from and see if they had it. Of course, that company only keeps the information for about a year, and I was (of course) too late by a matter of weeks.

Okay, I take a deep breath at this point and call Microsoft back. I tell them what’s happened and the only way that they can help me is to suggest that I repurchase the program for another $150+. I mean, it’s only reasonable that this giant company is unable and unwilling to create some form of retrieval system for people in my situation. Just buy a new one they say. And that’s when I started contemplating turning to a life of crime. I searched the internet to find ways to restore what was rightfully mine, and actually found a lot of cool ways around the licensing problem, but I digress.

After abandoning my criminal aspirations, I started going through the myriads of nieces and nephews who might be in college who could get me a copy at a significantly discounted rate (Microsoft Ultimate for College is only $50). I can live with $50 more, but anything over is ridiculous! I tried to find someone who might be willing to take a chance of letting me install their license into the evil program.

Finally I regained my senses and called out to an old friend who I will refer to as COG. COG was appalled that I had even bothered spending that kind of money on the software in this day in age. After a big sigh (of disgust or acceptance, I’m not sure which) he suggested that I use one of the free applications. So, I chimed in that I had downloaded OpenOffice to use once this stupid Microsoft trial period was over. He shook his head (yes, I could hear him shaking his head over the telephone!) and said just save the hard drive space and use GoogleDocs or better yet, Zoho.

What pray tell is Zoho? Well, it’s this wonderful place that I have fallen in love with and plan to use for the rest of my life (or until something cooler comes along – I am kind of fickle these days). It’s kind of like Google Docs in that it has a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation package. But that’s about where the comparison stops. Zoho (www.zoho.com) also has a project management application and webinar software that ranges from free to $24/mo. They also offer Customer Relationship Management, an online invoicing tool, online database and reporting. And let’s not forget the online organizing tool, a centralized public repository for working on shared documents with team members, instant messaging and group chat tools, online web application creator, online document management, online note taker and even a Zoho Wiki!

So, by divorcing Microsoft I free up a gazillion gigs of memory. I don’t have to be told stupid things like, “Well, yes you registered, but we don’t keep track of those things so the best thing you can do is spend more money on the program that you already purchased” and I am still totally compatible with all of my clients needs, since Zoho imports Microsoft Office documents. And heck, I can probably offer more services since I have the project management and webinar tools handy.

So, although we’ve been together over twenty years, I think it is now time for me to divorce the “Big M” and become one with the free internet resources with their multiple redundancies. And if there’s a document to two that I’d like to store on my hard drive, I always have the option to export them from the server to my little laptop. And with Zoho I can also work anywhere that there is an internet connection, thus freeing myself up from having to lug my laptop around from place to place when I’m working on things.

So, thank you COG for freeing me from this unhappy and one-sided relationship. I hope to be able to return the favor one day soon.

Goodbye Microsoft.

Hello Zoho!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

The Do Not Call List