Chapter 3: Faith

This chapter didn't resonate with me as strongly as the previous ones. Perhaps because I have always been a person of strong faith (not just religious, but in others and their abilities). It's one of the things that keeps me going when life becomes inexplicable. It's what keeps me calm when others wonder why I'm not panicking in situations. I remember when my son was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and his vital signs being low, one of the things my midwife told me afterwards is that she was impressed by my calm and obvious faith that things would turn out okay.

At the time, I was of course concerned about Michael, but I had faith that Andrea would do all that she could to get him stablized. I had faith that the hospital that I had chosen was well-equipped and knew what they were doing. I also had faith that regardless of the outcome, God would sustain me through it. And because of that I wasn't crying, screaming or panicky. Faith is a tangible thing with me.

One of the points that I had never considered, however, was the power of auto-suggestion and the way emotions can strengthen or weaken my faith. I learned about auto-suggestion while in high school. My father was an alcoholic and I grew up believing that everything was my fault (although no one actually said it) and I didn't deserve to be here. The voices in my head told me that everything was my fault, no one loved me and I deserved to die. My friends came up with a mantra of sorts that really snapped me out of it and made me more confident. I remember repeating over and over "It's not my fault, people do love me, and I'm here to stay." This went on for about 2 years, and by my Junior year I was feeling really great about myself and my abilities. But for some reason, I stopped using auto-suggestion to help me in other areas. Mr. Hill has shown me the error of that omission.

My self-confidence is much higher than it's ever been, because as I go through this book I am remembering the power and feeling that I had when I unknowingly applied the principles that we are learning about each week. Now the challenge is to make them a part of my daily life so that I can achieve even more and be able to help others effectively.

I'm a blue, so now my problem is to figure out the first set of affirmation statements to get this party rolling. I can come up with 1,000 different things I want to change, but narrowing it down to a list of importance is very difficult.

So far, I know that I will provide a positive and loving example for my children. I will to be prosperous and have a strong business and skill set to pass on to my children and others who are groping to find their way. I will have fun in my endeavors and live the lifestyle that I've always dreamed about -- travelling with my family and having my husband be able to pursue his interests without the worry of how to pay the next bill.

One other thing that did intrigue me about the chapter was the reference to Abraham Lincoln and his true love. Although I've felt myself blossoming during my relationship with my husband, I never thought of love as being such a key component to reaching the success that I imagine. But it is true, because of my faith and trust in him I feel free to pursue my ideas and reach out for help when I need it. I have also been put into more contact with like-minded people than I have ever been exposed to before. So, I must thank my husband for this great and generous gift.

Respectfully,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

Don't you hate when your kids get sick?