HomeWork – Juggling Home, Work & School

As you may know, I've been working on my own website about this very subject. Working from home, homeschooling and remaining sane is possible, but it takes a bit of time to get the balance just right for your family. So, when I read the eBook "HomeWork – Juggling Home, Work and School Without Losing Your Balance" I was excited. The project was overseen by The Old Schoolhouse and is a compilation of individual experiences, insights and stories of homeschoolers who are doing it all under one roof.

It was refreshing to read how other families are dealing with the unique challenges that homeschoolers who work from home face. The businesses and stories are varied and very interesting. Some of the people interviewed are at the beginning of their homeschooling journey and are incorporating their preschoolers into the business as well as the educational routine. Then there are families that have older children who are not only helping their parents with the family business, but are starting their own side pursuits. I find this phenomenon to be very encouraging.

As a mom, homeschooler and small business owner, I sometimes wonder if I'm really doing the best things for my family. Reading these stories has benefited me in the following ways:

  • Reading how other families' children have blossomed because of helping out with the family business has encouraged me to include my children more in my work. And I am also looking at different ways that my oldest daughter who is 9 years old can start earning her own money. I'm considering the Amazon affiliate program since she's just started writing book reviews with her pen pal friend on Blogger.

  • Every homeschooler is on a different path that leads to the same goal – mature adults capable of taking care of themselves and others. I need to stop comparing my journey to other families since all that does is cause unnecessary stress.

  • Finding the educational curriculum or program that works best with our children is a key to success in our businesses.

  • Flexibility and the ability to delegate responsibilities to our kids is another key to a happy family life and business. There is no better way to learn a skill than by exercising it daily. So, my daughters will be in charge of my never-ending filing. What a great way to learn about organization!

  • The experiences my family has running our business will create lasting memories that we'll cherish later in life. So I need to "relax" a bit and enjoy the ride more.

Another really wonderful bonus is that the people interviewed were willing to share their contact information with the readers. This is huge for me because it will be a pleasure to swap ideas and gain/give encouragement to other HomeWorkers. In my community, I am one of the few homeschoolers who also earns money to maintain our home. So, although my group is supportive and understanding when I have to bail out of activities, I don't always feel like they really understand my situation. I've made notes in my book to contact a few of the moms just to setup my own internet support network. J

So, if you're thinking about ways you can create an income from home, this encouraging and inspiring book is a great resource of ideas. You can pick up your copy at The Old Schoolhouse today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

Don't you hate when your kids get sick?