On the Wings of a Butterfly

Wow! That pretty much sums up my experience with Michelle Eichhorn's Wee Book "Science on the Wings of a Butterfly". I am humbled and greatly appreciative of the way Michelle approaches the subject. I am not a huge science fan. (Probably too much time spent in those stinky science labs at school!) Even when I buy science curricula for my kids, I rarely use it. I'm quite content watching The Magic School Bus and doing science experiments on the computer. Needless to say, my husband is in charge of our families' scientific education. J

From the moment that I began reading this particular Wee-book, I was enchanted. I know that sounds silly, but there's no other way for me to express it. Her descriptions and writing style really drew me into the subject and left me with a strong desire to know more. I actually checked my print out to make sure that I hadn't lost any pages! Her resource guide at the end of the book is really cool and my girls liked the idea of adopting a Monarch butterfly. As a rule I don't like bugs, but Michelle has opened my eyes to some of their more positive aspects.

My daughters have always expressed an interest in moths and butterflies, but I haven't been a font of information on them since I knew so little myself. Now I can impress them with my newly learned facts. For example, butterflies always rest with their wings up, while moths rest with their wings flat. Go Mommy! Michelle also placed simple instructions on how to attract butterflies for closer inspection. She has so motivated me that I – the anti-outdoor living mom – am anxiously looking forward to a trip to the store to pick up the supplies necessary for our very own butterfly garden and puddle.

The long and short of it is that this is an excellent Wee-book for anti-insect people like me as well nature lovers. She treats her subject with respect of not only the butterflies, but their Creator. She is an excellent communicator and has transmitted her love for the subject to me. This is a priceless gift that I plan to pass on to my children. This quick, but powerful, reading has been greatly appreciated by my family, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

Don't you hate when your kids get sick?