Getting Back to Basics

Teaching my first daughter how to read was a breeze. I just read to her on a regular basis, used the Scholastic Reading Program, Leap Frog videos and a bit of whimsy and she got it. My second daughter is having a more difficult time with reading. I think part of it is because she thinks that once she can read on her own she won't be read to anymore. Another reason probably has to do with her little brother. Although she's never been actively jealous of him, she may not be ready to fully transition to being a big girl.

The cyberschool program that she's been in this past year has helped, but she's still not fluent yet. So, I've just been weighing options. Alaya is an "independent" learner. Independent in her case means she wants to tell me what she's learned, not have me ask her questions or apply any type of pressure. (I shudder to imagine her as a teenager - lol!) Where Jade would sit there and try to figure out the words as I read, Alaya is happier contemplating the pictures or looking into the air (I guess she's imagining the story in her head).

So far I've come up with the idea of having her working on the computer using programs like Starfall, IKnowThat and Click N Kids. Starfall has a really great section for blending the sounds together, which is all that's holding Ms. Alaya back from reading. She's known her phonics forever, but she's not inclined to actually use them to sound out the words. And this is a website that she actually enjoys playing on.

Now, IKnowThat is an all around great place for kids. They have online games that start at the preschool level and go up to the sixth grade. It's a great resource for math games, history, language arts, etc. Since her big sister, Jade, is a frequent user she's familiar with the format and likes the games. And she will also be learning things that I haven't taught her, so that should keep her happy too. They also have an optional subscription ($49.95/yr.) that removes all the advertising and gives you access to another kid's club, but my kids are happy with the free offerings, so who am I to argue?

ClickNKids is a paid learn to read service, but it has some excellent features that take the sting out of the price. The cost is $59.85 and can be paid in 3 installments of $19.95. This is the option I chose. But, this is a lifetime subscription for my family. So once Alaya finishes with the program I can just plug Michael in without any extra fees. And once Michael is finished I can transfer it to a friend or family member who is teaching their children. And there's no transfer fee. So, in light of all the other money I've spent over the years for curriculum for the kids, this is a great deal! You can visit ClickN READ Phonics learning to read website for more information on their guarantees and other perks.

I'm hoping that these three programs will give her the independent playing level that she is comfortable with in her learning process. In addition to this I'm making a point of reading to her every night and taking a more relaxed approach. I'm also scrounging around for the missing CDs/books that came with my Scholastic Reading Program package. And she's starting to respond positively to the attention, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

Don't you hate when your kids get sick?