Homeschooling Views & Business

Thursday I was on the phone with a representative from FIS Marketing, Inc. I work with Prepaid Legal and they were offering 200 free leads, so I filled out the application and the rest was history. I called the 800 number to learn more about their services and what I heard was great, but a bit pricey for me at this time ($495), but you get 500 leads. They do ad copy, send out autoresponders, and if you speak to the leads that you purchase about your product and/or joining the salesteam and they turn you down, FIS will give them a call and close them for you. That's a really great program. And the leads cost about a buck a piece, so you can't beat that.

Anyway, the salesperson (let's call him "G") was asking questions about my business, compensation plan, personal interests, etc. to see if they would be able to work with me if I decided to use their services. So of course, during the progression of our interview I mention that I homeschool my children. Well, G just about gave me a standing ovation. Let me tell you, I was not expecting that at all. If you homeschool, you know that once you make the statement about homeschooling you're getting ready for some "socialization, do the children play with other children?" comments.

G's sister homeschooled her kids and he was praising the process to the hilt. His take on public schools was that they are there to institutionalize our children and make them good drones. No individuality or opinions formulated on their own research or knowledge, just what the mass media and peers tell them to think. He went on along those lines for about ten minutes! It was really nice to hear someone who didn't homeschool being such an advocate of the process. Has that ever happened to you?

Comments

Jody said…
I am suprised also that here in Michigan (at least the part I live in) most people praise me for homeschooling too. I have actually hear more praise than the big "S" question. I have had a few bad comments but mostly all good. It's still good to hear though :D
Homeschooling is becoming pretty common here in the Poconos as well. I think one of the reasons is that we have 3 cybercharter schools, so a lot of parents are willing to try teaching their children at home because they know that there's a teacher available to help them if needed.

I have a tirade to type up about some new legislation that's waiting to be passed regarding the cybercharter schools, so stay tuned.

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

Don't you hate when your kids get sick?