Amid Sickness I Found Joy

Okay, maybe not joy, but I did get a really good book that has helped me keep my sanity while everyone in my house (including me!) is sick. It's a book by Debbie Macomber. It's a nice cozy, perfect for someone who's head is trying to separate from the body. But seriously, this book was entertaining and light reading. It centered around a knitting shop, its proprietor and the students that she picks up along the way to teach about knitting.

I love to crochet (I wish I had time to actually do it !) and I do cross stitch (stamped -- I can't seem to count correctly! LOL!), embroidery, needlepoint and a little knitting. The book has a crafting quote from professional knitters for each chapter and I found many of them to be true. I especially liked the one by Morgan Hinks that says "Knitting goes with us; it calms us." When I actually had time on my hands (now I have neither hands nor time thanks to the children), crocheting a blanket or someone would completely de-stress me, even when the pattern wasn't coming out the exact way that I envisioned it.

The book reminded me of the joys of craftmanship, and specifically, the relaxing tonic of needlework. So, today I called a local knitting store and found out information on classes for me and my daughters. So, if I can pay off some bills it looks like we'll be going to knitting class in January. I think it's a great gift/skill to give young children (male or female) because it occupies the hands and mind with something that can bring joy to themselves and others. I'd rather they spent 6 hours knitting/crocheting versus 6 hours playing video games.

So, if you're under stress, pick up some knitting/crochet needles and wind down. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

Don't you hate when your kids get sick?