Cursive Writing Clues for the Letter R

I just finished working with my girls on their cursive writing. I find it funny that my 3rd grader hadn't shown any interest in learning until her five year old sister started learning. Aren't kids interesting that way?

Jade has troubles with the letter "r" both in print and cursive. When she prints the letter "r" it grows from a diminutive mid-line letter to a gargantuan top line monster. In all of her words that's the letter that overshadows them all. So, I thought that would be a great letter to add to her skill list. And perhaps eliminate the need for me to constantly repeat "the letter 'r' is a midline letter" over and over and over.

As you know, the lower-case "r" is a bit strange looking, especially if it's hanging out all by itself. For some reason, my daughter just wasn't getting the hang of the shape. Perhaps it wasn't aesthetically pleasing (she goes through that sometimes). So, some of her attempts ended up looking like an "n" and other times it just took on alien formations.

She likes to make pictures out of letters so I thought of a great idea which helped her tremendously. I told her that the lowercase "r" was set up like her chair tents. The first thing that you make is the chair on the left. Then you drape your comforter over that chair -- that kind of sags in the middle, and then you put the right chair at the end.

And we now have a row of perfectly formed cursive lowercase letter "r"s. I hope this hint helps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

Don't you hate when your kids get sick?