A Lovely Valentine Day Party

Today I was invited over to the home of one of Y-HOP's moms for a Valentine's Day party. The kids had to make their cards, there was a "best dressed" contest as well as other games and prizes. It was really a lot of fun! I learned how to make heart-shaped pizzas and the art (and joy) of dipping bananas and strawberries in chocolate. (Yummy!)

One of the best things about today was that I allowed myself to enjoy the camaraderie of other moms without worrying about what I had to do at home later, advertising to drum up business and other vital (but draining) activities. We were just three moms watching ten children run around and have fun.

One thing that I'm always happy about with homeschooling get-togethers is the way that all of the children get along. Of course they have scuffles and the regular conflicts that go with being human. But our kids handle the situations differently than I see those who are getting off the bus in my neighborhood. There's none of that "You're too little to play with us" or "We don't like you because ..." They seem more solution oriented and try to solve their problems without turning it into a warzone (usually!)

My little Michael (2 years old) decided that Milana (also 2 year old) would be a great person to continuously wrestle to the ground. She also thought that he might be a good person to hit. Needless to say I spent a good deal of time redirecting Michael away from Milana because I didn't want her to get hurt.

One of the older boys (6 years old) took Michael aside and started playing catch with him so that he would leave Milana alone and not get in trouble with me. An older girl (11 years old) took Milana and started playing dolls with her in an effort to keep the peace. And this was all done without me or any of the other moms directing them to do so. I think that's just wonderful.

All in all, it was a wonderful day. I hope that you had a great one too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Your Homeschooling Year Couldn’t Be Easier

School Daze

Don't you hate when your kids get sick?